About the Project
Evolugen is developing the 75MWac/~98MWdc* Sunrise Solar Project, to be located in the Municipal District (M.D.) of Pincher Creek, North-West of the town of Pincher Creek in southern Alberta. The Project has been under development since 2021 with environmental baseline studies completed in 2022. Stakeholder consultations and permit applications will occur in 2023 and Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) Power Plant Approval is expected by the end of 2023. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2024 and will take approximately 10 months.
- Located on approximately 575 acres of cultivated, privately owned land
- Will mark the first utility-scale solar project constructed in the M.D. of Pincher Creek
- Comprised of more than 210,000 bi-facial photovoltaic panels installed on single-axis trackers, panel racking systems, internal access roads, cabling, electrical inverters, a collector substation, and other related electrical equipment
- A noise impact assessment and solar glare assessment will be completed in early 2023 to support permit applications
- Recently entered Stage 3 in the AESO interconnection process
- Once completed in late 2024, the project will generate close to 174 GWh of renewable electricity annually, enough to power ~28,550 Alberta homes.
The Project will provide a source of clean energy, create jobs, drive innovation, and strengthen the economy by:
- Creating more than 100 new construction jobs and long-term operational employment opportunities
- Providing contract opportunities for local businesses and suppliers
- Injecting approximately $140 Million into the Alberta economy
Evolugen is committed to building trust with local stakeholders and engaging proactively with communities to ensure that their interests are appropriately considered in our decision-making. As part of our commitment to community engagement, Evolugen hosted its first in-person Community Open House in March 2023 to introduce the Project and gain feedback. We will be hosting more meetings in the future to share further updates and meet the community.
If you’d like further information, we encourage you to contact us or visit regularly our website for updates.